History of Transport Malta?
Early Transport Malta
Before the mid-19th century all means of land transport in Malta were done by horse, cart or kaless (caleche). The only exception to this was the Sedan Chair, used by privileged people across the island. Following that the Omnibus was brought to Malta in 1856 from England and it carried 16 passengers.
The first semblance of modern land transportation was the Malta Railway which consisted of a single railway line from Valletta to Mdina. This was the only railway line ever on the island of Malta where the line only had 10 locomotives operating over the course of its history. On 31st March 1931, the Malta Railway performed the last services from Rabat to Valletta.
This service was inaugurated in 1905 by a company named Malta Tramways Limited and the trams linked Valletta, the capital city, with the Three Cities, Birkirkara and Zebbug. The Tram had two floors, a lower floor where the operator used to be and a second where 20 passengers could be seated. The Malta tram service was terminated on 15th December 1929.
Since 1905, buses form the primary method of public transport for the Maltese Islands. The introduction of the buses affected adversely the Malta Railway where they became more popular and the railway became very expensive to run. After World War II a more dedicated public transport system was developed and it had major restructuring in 1971, 2011 and 2014.
General Traffic & Freight
The first land vehicle in Malta was introduced in 1925 and it took more than 30 years for cars to be the household’s main way of transportation. Since Malta is a former UK colony, cars drive on the left, as with most Common Wealth countries. Today the country has the fifth-highest number of vehicles per capita in the world as of 2009, with 607 motor vehicles per 1,000 people. Today a series of cars, vans, commuters and commercial trailers allow for a modern commuting and transportation of freight.